Advisor with student

Psychology Advising

The Psychology Advisors are available to help you with a variety of needs including:


Students are assigned a major advisor based on their last name. Advising questions should be directed to the major advisor first. When contacting a major advisor, please include your first and last name and NUID on all email correspondence.

Last Name A-G

Emily Martinez

Emily Martinez

Last Name H-O

Nick Peters

Nicholas Peters

Last Name P-Z

Alexis Lehman

Alexis Lehman

Career Coach

Joanna Seley

Joanna Seley

Faculty Advisor

Carolyn Brown-Kramer

Dr. Carolyn Brown-Kramer

Office Hours

During the academic year:

By appointment 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Walk-ins are for quick questions and are available at the following times:
Mondays 2:30-4:00
Tuesdays 1:30-4:00
Thursday 1:30-4:00
For walk-in advising, simply come to Burnett 235, sign in at the desk and wait in the lobby for the advisor to come and get you.

During the summer:

The Department of Psychology advisors are available during the summer months by appointment only. No walk-in hours are offered. There is limited availability during the month of June due to New Student Enrollment.

To schedule an appointment:

MyPLAN allows you to view advisor schedules and request an appointment scheduling an appointment with MyPLAN . Be sure to include a short description of the topics you would like to discuss during your appointment.

College of Arts and Sciences

Academic and Career Advising Center
107 Oldfather | 402-472-4190
The College of Arts and Sciences offers a dual advising structure (you can visit their office as well as your major advisor) that makes it easy to connect with the resources you need to be successful. Easily accessible and available for daily walk-ins or appointments, advisors are ready to help you navigate overall degree requirements, understand academic policies and processes, complete paperwork for substitutions, waivers, major and minor changes, petitions and more. They can also provide information on integrating multiple majors and minors, help you explore career options and identify ways to gain experience to prepare for success after graduation.

Making the Most of the Advising Relationship

Advisors can serve as a mentor to and advocate for students. As with all relationships, both parties must work together and do their part to get the most benefit from the relationship. Here are some tips on fulfilling your responsibility as a student to take ownership for and get the most out of the advising experience:

  • It is your responsibility to take the initiative to schedule advising appointments. Show up for the appointments you make. If you cannot make it to your appointment, cancel through MyPLAN or send an e-mail as soon as possible.
  • Make an appointment with an advisor at least once per academic year (preferably once per semester) to discuss your course selections and make sure you are on track to graduate.
  • Look at your degree audit before your appointment. If you have taken PSYC 100, bring your Degree Plan. Make a list of questions beforehand to ensure all of your questions get answered. Ask for clarification if you don't understand something. We are very happy to explain things again if needed.
  • Be open and honest with your advisor. The answers to your questions can change based on individual circumstances. We can't provide you with the most accurate information if we don't know the full story. Advising appointments are confidential, so please help us do our best to help you by being open about your grades, career goals, personal issues you are facing, etc.
  • Do not answer phone calls, check your phone or text during appointments.
  • Keep records of any communication you receive from your advisor. Keep a paper advising folder and/or an e-mail advising folder in which to keep all documents and correspondence.
  • Remember that this is your education. You know your unique academic, personal, and career goals better than anyone else. Advisors are here to help you learn to utilize the tools available to you and share information we have learned. Remember, we don't know everything, so be sure to do your own research as well.
Advisor and student


Q. How do I declare or change my major?

A. Call or go to your new college and let them know that you would like to change your major. You can find each college's website here:

Students can look up which college a major or minor is in by using the Undergraduate Catalog.

Q. How do I declare or change my minor?

A. To declare or change your minor, go to the College of Arts and Sciences Advising Center (107 Oldfather) and talk to the receptionist at the front desk to make the change.

Students can research potential minors by using the Undergraduate Catalog. Click on the 'Majors' tab at the top of the page and you will find a list of all majors and minors.

Q. How do I change a course to Pass/No Pass?

A. You can find registration tips and techniques, including changing a course to Pass/No Pass here:

Q. How do I know if I can take a course Pass/No Pass?

A. Your college, as well as your major and minor, all have restrictions on the number of credit hours you can take as Pass/No Pass. Please refer to both the college and major/minor sections of the Undergraduate Catalog for clarification.

For advice on whether or not to change a course to Pass/No Pass, schedule an appointment via MyPlan (instructions) with your advisor.

Q. When is the deadline to change a course to Pass/No Pass?

A. For all deadlines, refer to the UNL Academic Calendar.

Q. When is the deadline to withdraw from a course?

A. For all deadlines, refer to the UNL Academic Calendar.

Q. How do I drop/withdraw from a class?

A. You can find registration tutorials here, including how to drop a course:  Save a screenshot for your records.

If you drop a course after the drop/add deadline (the sixth day of class for the fall and spring semesters), a "W" will appear on your transcript to signify that you withdrew from the course. If you are pre-health or plan to apply to competitive grad programs, consult an advisor before withdrawing. If you drop a course before the sixth day of class (for the fall and spring semesters), the course will not appear at all on your transcript.

Q. I’m doing poorly in one of my classes. What should I do?

A. Schedule an appointment with your instructor as soon as possible. Instructors are many times willing to work with students as long as you come in as soon as problems arise. Be ready to explain exactly what you are struggling with in the course. Is it the content, the lecture format, the testing style, etc...? Or, perhaps you are having personal circumstances that are interfering with the course. Whatever it is, be prepared to discuss specific examples of what you are struggling with. It is also helpful to have some ideas in mind of what would help you do better. If you are still struggling after meeting with the instructor, schedule an appointment via MyPlan (instructions) with your advisor right away.

Q. How do I know if I’m a Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, or Senior?

Freshman 0-26 credits
Sophomore 27-52 credits
Junior 53-88 credits
Senior 89+ credits

Class standing is determined by the number of credits completed. For example, if you have 24 credits done and are currently taking 12 more credits, you are still considered a freshman.

You can see how many credits you have complete by referring to your degree audit. Under the heading ***Total Credits Applying Toward 120 Total Hours***, you will see your total hours added (complete), total hours in progress (current semester as well as anything that you are pre-enrolled in for the upcoming semester(s), and how many total hours you still need to graduate. 

Q. Should I pursue a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree in psychology?

A. Most psychology majors pursue a Bachelor of Arts degree. For most careers in psychology, such as mental health, law, business, human services, social work, or related fields, the Bachelor of Arts degree is probably the best match. If you are pursuing a career in medicine, neuroscience, neuropsychology, or other related field, you may want to consider a Bachelor of Science degree. If you are unsure, schedule an appointment with your advisor via MyPlan (instructions) to discuss which degree is best for you.

Q. How often should I meet with my advisor?

A. Students should meet with their advisor at least once per year, preferably once per semester to discuss your course selections and make sure you are on track to graduate.

Q. When do I need to apply for graduation?

A. Students need to submit an application for graduation at the beginning of their final semester. Refer to the Graduation Services website for instructions and deadlines.

Q. How many electives do I need to graduate?

A. The number of electives needed for graduation is different for each student depending upon factors such as how much foreign language took prior to being admitted, if you are pursuing a minor, etc. A total of 120 hours are required to graduate and include ACE requirements, College of Arts and Sciences Distribution Requirements, psychology major requirements and second major and/or minor requirements. Electives are courses that only count toward total credit hours for graduation, but they do not fulfill any other specific degree requirement. You are welcome to schedule an appointment via MyPlan (instructions) with your advisor to calculate how many electives you need to graduate.

Q. What is my Catalog Year?

A. Degree requirements may change slightly from year to year. Each student's graduation requirements are based on his/her catalog year, so it is very important that you know what your catalog year is. Generally, your catalog year (formerly called bulletin year) is the year that you started school at the University of Nebraska, or perhaps the year you started in the College of Arts and Sciences (if you changed your major). You can find your catalog year on your degree audit. At the top, right hand corner you will find the heading 'Catalog Year'. Beside this heading is a semester and year (i.e. Fall 2016). Refer to the following table to determine your Catalog Year.

Fall 2015 – 2015-16

Fall 2016 – 2016-17

Fall 2017 - 2017-18

Fall 2018 - 2018-19

Q. Where do I find my degree requirements?

A. Degree requirements are outlined in the Undergraduate Catalog. Be sure to select the correct catalog year from the drop-down menu at towards the top, under the "Your Undergraduate Catalog" heading.

Q. How do I order a copy of my transcript?

A. Students can order transcript through MyRed (instructions). Students may also order transcripts in person through the Registrar's Office.

Q. When can I register for next semester?

A. Priority Registration occurs in October for the Spring semester, and again in March for the Summer and Fall terms. Students are broken down into groups based on class status (seniors, juniors, sophomores, freshmen), so everyone is not registering at the same time (and overloading the advisors and computer systems). Log on to MyRed and click on “Enrollment Dates” to view the specific day and time you can begin registering. It is very important to register for your classes during Priority Registration.

Refer to the academic calendar for priority registration dates. 

Q. Do I need a minor?

A. No, but it is a good use of elective hours. A minor allows you to supplement your psychology major by gaining knowledge in additional areas. A minor can be in any department on campus that offers a minor. You can search for and view minor requirements using the Undergraduate Catalog. You are also encouraged to schedule an appointment via MyPlan (instructions) with your advisor to discuss which minor(s) might be a good choice based on your career goals.

Q. What is the difference between a Plan A and a Plan B minor?

A. Plan A minors are for students who only have one minor. Plan A minors are typically 18 credits, but that number varies by department. Plan B minors are for students who have more than one minor. The Plan B minor is typically smaller (i.e. 12 credits) and is not offered for every minor. The idea behind the Plan B minor is to require fewer hours for students who want to complete multiple minors. Use the Undergraduate Catalog to find the requirements for a minor. Click on the 'Majors' tab at the top and then you will be able to scroll through all major and minor options.

Q. How do I get credit for research?

A. Once you have a research position lined up, talk to your faculty or graduate student supervisor about earning academic credit. Refer to the Undergraduate Research section of our website for details.

Q. How do I get credit for volunteering or internship?

A. You can earn academic credit for volunteer work and internships. Both types of experiences follow the same process and use the same paperwork. We provide information on where to look for internships and our internship packet.