Office: 315 Burnett Hall
Professor Crockett's research interests focus on adolescent development. She conducts research in two primary areas: adolescent risk behavior, with an emphasis on sexuality, and ethnic differences in parenting and adolescent adjustment. In one study, Dr. Crockett followed a sample of rural adolescents from junior high into early adulthood. Using this data set she has examined predictors and consequences of early sexuality activity and heavy drinking among rural youth. More recent analyses focus on the transition to adulthood, including the implications of adolescents' family relationships, peer relationships and behavior for the quality of their romantic relationships in adulthood as well as the development of aspirations and expectations for the future. In a second study, she and Dr. Marcela Raffaelli have examined the childhood origins of adolescents' sexual risk-taking. In a third study, she has examined the relations between parenting practices and adolescent adjustment across different ethnic groups, using national survey data and qualitative data from focus group interviews with teenagers. A fourth project examines the relationships between temperament, internalizing, and externalizing problems from grades 3 to 10. A new project that focuses on the development and well-being of Latino adolescents is underway. Dr. Crockett served as Associate Editor of the Journal of Research on Adolescence from 1999-2004 and currently serves on the editorial boards of the Journal of Early Adolescence and Developmental Psychology.
- Crockett, L. J., Bingham, C. R., Chopak, J. S., & Vicary, J. R. (1996). Timing of first sexual intercourse: The role of social control, social learning, and problem behavior. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 25, 89-111.
- Bingham, C. R., & Crockett, L. J. (1996). Longitudinal adjustment patterns of boys and girls experiencing early, middle, and late sexual intercourse. Developmental Psychology,32, 647-658.
- Crockett, L. J. (1997). Cultural, historical, and subcultural contexts of adolescence: Implications for health and development. In J. Schulenberg, J. Maggs, & K. Hurrelman (Eds.), Health risks and developmental transitions during adolescence (pp. 23-53). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Zweig, J., Crockett, L. J., Sayer, A., & Vicary, J.R. (1999). A longitudinal examination of the consequences of sexual victimization for rural young adult women. Journal of Sex Research, 36, 396-409.
- Crockett, L. J., Shanahan, M. J., & Jackson-Newsom, J. (2000). Rural youth: Ecological and life course perspectives. In R. Montemayor (Ed.), Advances in Adolescent Development: Vol. 9. Adolescent experiences: Cultural and economic diversity in adolescent development. Thousand Oaks,
- Jacobson, K. C., & Crockett, L. J. (2000). Parental monitoring and adolescent adjustment: An ecological perspective. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 10, 65-97.
- Crockett, L. J., & Bingham, C. R. (2000). Anticipating adulthood: Expected timing of work and family transitions among rural youth. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 10, 151-171.
- Crockett L. J., & Silbereisen, R. K. (Eds.) (2000). Negotiating adolescence in times of social change. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Raffaelli, M., & Crockett, L. J. (2003). Sexual risk-taking in adolescence: The role of self- regulation and risk-proneness. Developmental Psychology, 39, 1036-1046.
- Raffaelli, M., Crockett, L. J., & Shen, Y. (2005). Developmental stability and change in self-regulation from childhood to adolescence. Journal of Genetic Psychology, 166, 54-75.
- Crockett, L. J., Randall, B. A., Shen, Y., Russell, S. T., & Driscoll, A. K. (2005). Measurement equivalence of the Center for Epidemiological Studies Depression scale for Latino and Anglo adolescents: A national study. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 73, 47-58.
- Crockett, L. J., Moilanen, K. L., Raffaelli M., & Randall, B. A. (2006). Psychological profiles and adolescent adjustment: A person-centered approach. Development and Psychopathology, 18(1).
- Crockett, L., J., Shen, Y., & Raffaelli, M. (2006). Linking self-regulation and risk proneness to risky sexual behavior: Pathways through peer pressure and early substance use. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 16, 503-525.
- Crockett, L. J., & Randall, B. (2006). Linking adolescent family and peer relationships to the quality of young adult romantic relationships: The mediating role of conflict tactics. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 23, 761-780.
- Carlo, G., Crockett, L. J., Randall, B. A., & Roesch, S. C. (2007). A latent growth curve analysis of prosocial behaviors among rural adolescents. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 17, 301-324.
- Crockett, L. J., Brown, J. R., Shen, Y-L, & Russell R. T. (2007). The meaning of good parent-child relationships for Mexican American adolescents. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 17, 639-668.
- Raffaelli, M., Torres Stone, R. A., Iturbide, M. I., McGinley, M., Carlo, G., & Crockett, L. J. (2007). Acculturation, gender, and alcohol use among Mexican American college students. Addictive Behaviors, 32, 2187-2199.
- Crockett, L. J., Iturbide, M. I., Torres Stone, R. A., McGinley, M., Raffaelli, M., & Carlo, G. (2007). Acculturative stress, social support, and coping: Relations to psychological adjustment among Mexican Americans. Culture, Diversity, & Ethic Minority Psychology, 13, 347-355.
- Russell, S. T., Crockett, L. J., Shen, Y-L., & Lee, S-A. (2008). Cross-ethnic invariance of self-esteem and depression measures for Chinese, Filipino, and European American Adolescents. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 37, 51-60.
- Crockett, L. J., Brown, J. R, Iturbide, M.I, Russell, S. T., & Wilkinson-Lee, A.M. (2009). Conceptions of good parent-adolescent relationships among Cuban American teenagers. Sex Roles, 60, 575-587.
- Crockett, L. J., & Zamboanga, B. (2009). Substance use among Latino Adolescents: Cultural, social, and psychological considerations. In F. A. Villarruel, M. Azmitia, N. Cabrera, G. Carlo, J. Chabin, & J. Contreras (Eds.), Handbook of US Latino psychology. Sage
- Beal, S. J., & Crockett, L. J. (2010). Adolescents' occupational and educational aspirations and expectations: Links to high school activities and adult educational attainment. Developmental Psychology, 46, 258-263.
- Moilanen, K. L., Crockett, L. J., & Raffaelli, M. (2010). Trajectories of sexual risk from mid-adolescence to early adulthood. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 20, 114-139.
- Russell, S. T., Crockett, L, J., & Chao, R. (Eds.) (2010). Asian American parenting and parent-adolescent relationships. In R. Levesque (Series Ed.) Advancing Responsible Adolescent Development. New York: Springer.
- Carlo, G., Crockett, L. J., & Carranza, M. (Eds.) (2011) Health disparities in families and youth: Theory and research applications. Nebraska Symposium on Motivation, 53. Lincoln, NE: New York: Springer.
- Carlo, G. Crockett, L. J., Wilkinson, J. L., & Beal, S. J. (2011). The longitudinal relations between adolescents' prosocial behavior and young adult substance use. Journal of Youth and Adolescence.
- Wolff, J., & Crockett, L. J. (2011). The role of deliberative decision making, parenting, and friends in adolescent risk behaviors. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 40, 1607-1622.
- Crockett, L. J., Carlo, G., Wolff, J. M., & Hope, M. (in press). The role of pubertal timing and temperamental vulnerability in adolescents' internalizing problems. Development & Psychopathology.
- Crockett, L. J., & Beal, S. J. (in press) The life course in the making: Gender and the development of adolescents' expected timing of adult role transitions. Developmental Psychology.